David Schmitt <da...@dasz.at> writes:
> On 6/4/2010 3:45 AM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> Well, my use case pretty much always comes down to "do something for this
>> data
>> about this host", and hasn't ever gotten more than two levels deep:
>>
>>    backuppc::server needs a per-client configuration
>>      per-client configuration needs this clients mount-points and excludes
>>
>>    the load-balancer needs the hostname and ip of every app-server
>
> Just as another "data point", I cover those things also with export/collect,
> but do not need an ERB template, by actually creating the needed file
> fragments (usable for volcane's concat) on the source hosts. Collection can
> then use the <<||>> query language to select what's needed, in my cases
> always by tag.
>
> That approach has great flexibility, without the pain of accessing the DB
> myself.

Heh.  I use exactly this technique in my current backuppc configuration, and
it is a huge PITA to maintain.  Sure, it works, by implementing a custom
template system on the target machine and pushing around fragments of files to
populate it.

So, my aim here is to get rid of the need to work around the fact that puppet
doesn't let me ask questions of another node to eliminate all that.

I guess tastes vary, though, if you think using concat is nicer than using
something that wraps the puppet database. :)

        Daniel

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707