Well, one thing about GNU/Linux is that there are many ways to 'skin a
cat'.  One of the reasons there might not have been a PS/PDF viewer is
because there are many choices out there, and people tend to prefer a
particular application for certain things.  Its easy enough to install, so
sometimes things like that might be left out of a live distro.

As far as the screenshot stuff goes.... XFCE has a Keyboard dialog in the
Settings menu where you can map certain commands to a key combination.  I
just mapped the command:

import -window root screen.png

to the Print Screen button and it seems to be working just fine.  Of course,
every time you press it, the file ~/screen.png will be overwritten.  There
might be a way to expand that command to do more for you.  Just use your
imagination.  And documentation.

-grant

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM, felix nicanor <felix.nica...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>>>
>>>   Still missing freeverb, but now that the screen has got cleaner it
>>> seems to be the only one missing.
>>> I found the source in
>>> http://puredata.info/community/projects/software/freeverb and now I want
>>> to learn how to compile it (the info should be in the documentation, I
>>> guess).
>>>
>>>   , but I guess that both this problems should be posted in the pd list
>>>>

>>> You should be able to find those easily online but I am also aware that
>>> Pd still has no satisfactory way of telling you what externals you are
>>> missing.  I would recommend checking that all the available libs in Puredyne
>>> are definitely booting and then see what, if anything, you are missing.
>>>
>>>  How should I do it? Must I try each one in the /usr/lib/pd/extra folder?
>>> Anyway it seems that my patch is quite vanilla. The only external used is
>>> freeverb, and this is because I still don't know how to do a reverb by
>>> myself (using only what puredata provides)
>>>

>>> I have compiled a few libs recently and it was pretty painless(pmpd for
>>> example), although there are a few that defeated me (cyclone).  As someone
>>> has mentioned previously it is possible to just transfer some libs from
>>> program to program and across different computers but I guess it should in
>>> no way be seen as a sensible solution.

>>> You have the 'gDebi' package installer?  Sometimes I add things that I
>>> think everyone already has, Ed Kelly recommended having the 'xfce cpu
>>> govorner' which is very handy for example.    One of the design aims of
>>> Puredyne is to be much lighter than Ubuntu, sometimes that streamlining
>>> makes for a more involved interaction with the OS.
>>>
>>>  No, I see it is missing. I'll install it now, but I will continue fixing
>>> the already installed pd version. Thank you for the info.
>>>
>>> I feel that not having it was lucky, as I am getting confortable with not
>>> needing a probably not configured, supefluous and redundant pde installment.
>>>
>>> A difference I would like to understand is that in the extended version I
>>> was able to change the colours of the canvas, wires and such by tweaking the
>>> pd.tk file in the /usr/lib/pd/bin folder. Now, this version of pd is
>>> more like the vanilla one, is it so? the interface colours are defined in a
>>> way I do not understand. Do you?
>>>
>>> about the Puredyne design aim, I really like it, for sure.

>>> Ah yes, that is irritating isn't it.  Your files will be in the download
>>> folder /home/blahblah/download, I think.
>>>
>>>  Yes it is, but not a great deal. If you happen to find how to fix it
>>> please let me know.

>>> Hope you like it - it's really worth persevering with I reckon.  I too am
>>> very much Linux-light and perhaps some more knowledgeable list'ers can weigh
>>> in to help with your specific problems.  If not, apparently the irc channel
>>> is where you can find some of the devs, some of the time.

>>> Your welcome and kind regards,
>>>
>>>  Julian, you are extremely helpful. Thank you a lot, really

---