Hi Eelke,

You can certainly use pyglet for this kind of project. I would recommend
getting a prototype going first, using PC keyboard input. Most of the work
will be graphical, so you can add a library for reading Midi commands after
you get something going. To start, you will need to understand some OpenGL,
but the pyglet.graphics module will take most of the pain out of working
with the actual OpenGL primitives. Give this a read over, and post back if
you have any questions. We're always interested in improving the
documentation :
https://pyglet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/programming_guide/graphics.html

You can also check out this example in the repo as well:
https://bitbucket.org/pyglet/pyglet/src/89bc2c4825e13a73ed156d3232159cb481aabc9d/examples/graphics.py?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default
You might want to make some template classes for the various shapes,
similar to the Torus. For a project of this scale, keep it simple and just
use GL_LINES and GL_TRIANGLES for everything.

This is an interesting sounding project. If you plan to make this open
source, you should post a link to your repository.

-Ben