I generally add my javascript files by hand to my base.mako template.
Effects.js is from scriptaculous, which is a prototype (.js) effects
framework. If you add these manually to your public folder, and add a script
tag to the pages that use them, you can forgo the need to use javascripts
middleware entirely.

I also strongly suggest using Google's AJAX API
http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlibs/documentation/index.html to serve up
prototype and scriptaculous since it is already on their CDN, and is already
cached by many people's browsers.

Tom Longson (nym)
http://truefalsemaybe.com/