[Mike Orr, 2009-02-07]
> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Piotr Ozarowski <oza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [Joshua D. Drake]
> >> sudo easy_install pylons
> >
> > Please add "Please note that after this command, you cannot report bugs
> > against Python related Debian/Ubuntu packages and if you will want to
> > uninstall Pylons or some of your other applications will stop working,
> > reinstall your system (which normally, you should never do on Debian)"
> >
> > NEVER INSTALL EGGS INTO GLOBAL SITE-PACKAGES!!!
>
> Both Debian and Ubuntu have /usr/local/lib/python2.X/site-packages,
> which is expressly intended for locally-installed libraries like this.

... by administrators who want to add some local modifications, not by
users who want to do some tests

let me cite FHS:
| The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when
| installing software locally. It needs to be safe from being overwritten
| when the system software is updated. It may be used for programs and
| data that are shareable amongst a group of hosts, but not found in /usr.

so, even if easy_install would install to /usr/local it still would be wrong.

>  Their Python interpreter has been modified to look both places.  If
> easy_install tries to put something into /usr/lib, a small change in
> /usr/lib/python2.X/distutils/distutils.cfg or ~/.pydistutils.cfg will
> correct it.)

note the "sudo" part in Joshua's command

> I normally install Ubuntu packages only for things that have C
> extensions that can be hard to compile.  So python-mysqldb,
> python-ldap, python-imaging, etc.  These are pretty mature so the
> default version is probably all you'll ever need.  The same cannot be
> said for Pylons, SQLAlchemy, Setuptools, etc.

again, please don't install them into global site-packages (no matter if
you choose /usr or /usr/local). If you don't believe me it's a bad idea,
just list eggs you installed on your system and I'll give you names of
packages that you broke by using eggs.