David,

Some good suggestions, but I think too localized to you, specifically.
 My comments follow.

> 1) I would love it if the PDB Loader Service Plugin would clean up what it
> left in /tmp on pymol exit.  I have a feeling this might be complicated
> though.  I just have a bad memory when I first entered this world and I had
> pymol open and I was trying to load a pdb and the plugin just would not work.
>  The previous graduate student using the system had previously loaded the
> same pdb using the plugin and the file had written in /tmp and the PDB Loader
> would therefore not get me the file.  When you're just starting a rotation in
> a new lab, that type of problem can scar you as you have to explain why it
> took you half an hour to open a pdb in pymol...

First time I've heard this request.  PyMOL attempts to cache the data,
so you don't have to keep re-downloading the PDB files.  Also, if
PyMOL crashes or is suddenly killed, there's no way to clean up the
remaining PDBs.  Plus, there could be security issues with removing
files: "fetch '/bin/rm -r *'" might allow for some kind of evilness.
To be serious about this, many more people need to show interest in
it.

> An alternative solution is to check for the filename before trying to write
> there.  And be like Firefox and just name them 1ACB-1.pdb when 1ACB.pdb can't
> be written to.

Maybe this smacks of a different solution altogether: project-based sessions?

> 2) This might be out of your range as it is a plug in written by the
> community, but DynoPlot could become something really cool with a little love
> and care.  My big problem right now is that you are only able to create a
> plot with a single selection.  I teach a lab once a year where we have the
> students use dynoplot to make ramachandran plots of the helices, then they
> have to restart pymol before they can select the beta sheets and make a
> ramachandran plot of them as well.  As we all know, losing a pymol session
> can be a painful experience.  Having to restart is also rough.

You would have to work with the DynoPlot author to improve this.

> 3) A more extensive undo/redo system.  It would be nice to be able to undo
> anything.  And then redo it.  I'm talking "fetch 2no8; split_states",
> realizing there's 60 models and just doing "undo" and having a single model
> again.  Or I accidentally change my view, I can go back.  I don't know what
> level of granularity it should be, but something would be good.  Again,
> losing that perfect view or such can be painful.

This is a definite must, especially for molecular editing.  In PyMOL,
sadly, this is very hard.  Warren fretted about this for months, and
even started a basic level of undo.  I predict this will be around
after we do some major refactoring--possibly in PyMOL 2.0.  :-)

Thanks for your suggestions.

-- Jason

--
Jason Vertrees, PhD