On Wed, 2 May 2018 22:54:04 +0100
Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 May 2018 at 22:37, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
> > To elaborate a bit: the OP, while angry, produced both a detailed
> > analysis *and* a PR.  It's normal to be angry when an advertised
> > feature doesn't work and it makes you lose hours of work (or, even,
> > forces you to a wholesale redesign). Producing a detailed analysis and a
> > PR is more than most people will ever do.
>
> His *other* email seems reasonable, and warrants a response, yes. But
> are we to take the suggestion made here (to drop tkinter) seriously,
> based on the fact that there's a (rare - at least it appears that the
> many IDLE users haven't hit it yet) race condition that causes a crash
> in Python 2.7? (It appears that the problem doesn't happen in the
> python.org 3.x builds, if I understand the description of the issue).

I and others actually suggested it seriously in the past.  Now,
admittedly, at least IDLE seems better maintained than it used to
be -- not sure about Tkinter itself.

> Nor do I think the tone of his message here is acceptable - regardless
> of how annoyed he is, posting insults ("no-one gives a damn") about
> volunteer contributors in a public mailing list isn't reasonable or
> constructive. Call that "playing speech police" if you want, but I
> think that being offended or annoyed and saying so is perfectly
> reasonable.

Will all due respect, it's sometimes unpredictable what kind of wording
Anglo-Saxons will take as an insult, as there's lot of obsequiosity
there that doesn't exist in other cultures. To me, "not give a damn"
reads like a familiar version of "not care about something", but
apparently it can be offensive.

Regards

Antoine.