On 5/2/2018 6:01 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
On Wed, 2 May 2018 22:54:04 +0100
Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

His *other* email seems reasonable, and warrants a response, yes. But
are we to take the suggestion made here (to drop tkinter) seriously,
based on the fact that there's a (rare - at least it appears that the
many IDLE users haven't hit it yet) race condition that causes a crash
in Python 2.7? (It appears that the problem doesn't happen in the
python.org 3.x builds, if I understand the description of the issue).

I got the same impression, and indeed got no crashes in 25 tries.

I and others actually suggested it seriously in the past.  Now,
admittedly, at least IDLE seems better maintained than it used to
be -- not sure about Tkinter itself.

Serhiy continues to work on tkinter even though he now works on much else. We just made an overlooked 2to3 fix last week.

--
Terry Jan Reedy