> On 2 May 2018, at 22:51, Ivan Pozdeev via Python-Dev <python-dev@python.org>
> wrote:
>
> As https://bugs.python.org/issue33257 and https://bugs.python.org/issue33316
> showed, Tkinter is broken, for both Py2 and Py3, with both threaded and
> non-threaded Tcl, since 2002 at least, and no-one gives a damn.

The second issue number doesn’t refer to a Tkinter issue, the former is about a
month old and has reactions from a core developer. That’s not “nobody cares”.

> This seems to be a testament that very few people are actually interested in
> or are using it.

Not necessarily, it primarily reflects that CPython is volunteer-driven
project.  This appears to be related to the interaction of Tkinter and threads,
and requires hacking on C code.  That seriously shrinks the pool of people that
feel qualified to work on this.

> If that's so, there's no use keeping it in the standard library -- if
> anything, because there's not enough incentive and/or resources to support
> it. And to avoid screwing people (=me) up when they have the foolishness to
> think they can rely on it in their projects -- nowhere in the docs it is said
> that the module is only partly functional.

Tkinter is used fairly often as an easily available GUI library and is not much
as you imply.

I don’t know how save calling GUI code from multiple threads is in general
(separate from this Tkinter issue), but do know that this is definitely not
save across platforms: at least on macOS calling GUI methods in Apple’s
libraries from secondary threads is unsafe unless those methods are explicitly
documented as thread-safe.

Ronald