I still use it a bit, in simple contexts to be sure, but I do find it
useful. Others think so as well. I think TkAgg is probably the most
commonly used backend in Matplotlib. I wrote a single Matplotlib-using
program which plots columns from CSV files. I use it almost daily with no
problems. Again, I use the TkAgg backend by default.

So, does it have problems? Almost certainly. It seems you've encountered
some. If you want to see something change though, just screaming at the
developers is almost certainly the least productive thing you could do.

Here are some things you *could* do:

* submit some bug reports
* review patches related to the problems, assuming there are some
* write some patches for the documentation adding warnings about sketchy
bits

Skip