On 30/06/2020 10:52, Thomas Wouters wrote:
I don't have words for the irony of complaining about changing words while
objecting to the wording in a commit message. Especially considering the
commit message isn't nearly as visible as the places that people have
actually been fixing things like master/slave.

I'm sorry, I was a little deafened by the irony that it's only wrong to complain about changes you agree with.

The commit was over-hasty, but that's not a crime. It improves matters for those who find the idea of writing formal English daunting, but at the expense of those who find the idea of filling a blank box with words terrifying. A little more thought could have catered for both, but it's not the end of the world. With a sufficient supply of round tuits I can always submit a PR myself.

The commit message is a political message that flatly does not belong in the repository.

Do you see the difference?

I really wish you hadn't brought up the master/slave debacle again. I may feel obliged to submit PRs to restore the accepted usage because, and I can't believe I have to keep saying this, *creating taboos only ever makes things worse.*

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd