On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 10:10 AM Ivan Pozdeev via Python-Dev
<python-dev@python.org> wrote:

> On 10.03.2021 3:53, Chris Angelico wrote:
> >> There's a general movement to replace language from common programming
> >> practises that derive from, or are associated with, the dehumanization of
> >> people. Such as master and slave, as well as whitelist and blacklist.
> >>
> > Is that *actually* the origin of the term in this context, or is it
> > the "master", the pristine, the original from which copies are made?
> > There's no "slave" branch anywhere in the git repository.
>
> It is, actually, the ultimate origin of the term.
>
> A more immediate origin is the master-slave architecture (the master agent
> initiates some operation and slave agents respond to it and/or
> carry it out).

Petr Baudis (who named "master" branch) says its origin is "master
recording". So it is unrelated to master-slave.
https://twitter.com/xpasky/status/1272280760280637441

> Anyway, this is yet another SJW non-issue (countries other than US don't have
> a modern history of slavery) so this change is a political
> statement rather than has any technical merit.

Yes. If we don't change the name, we need to pay our energy to same
discussion every year.
It is not productive. Let's change the name and stop further discussion.

--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>