On 10/03/2021 10.30, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 10:30:43 +0900
> Inada Naoki <songofaca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 10:10 AM Ivan Pozdeev via Python-Dev
>> <python-dev@python.org> wrote:

>>> It is, actually, the ultimate origin of the term.
>>>
>>> A more immediate origin is the master-slave architecture (the master agent
>>> initiates some operation and slave agents respond to it and/or
>>> carry it out).
>>>

>> Petr Baudis (who named "master" branch) says its origin is "master
>> recording". So it is unrelated to master-slave.
>> https://twitter.com/xpasky/status/1272280760280637441
>
> And the origin of the English word is the latin noun "magister":
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/magister#Latin

Words change meaning.

For example take the word "dumb". It used to mean "mute" or
"speechless". Ableism turned its meaning into "stupid" /
"nonintellectual" as people equated speaking/hearing disability with
mental disability.

Fun fact: German language adopted the new meaning while Dutch language
kept the original meaning of the word. In German phrase "Bist du doof?"
translates to "Are you dumb?" while the Dutch sentence "Ben je doof"
means "Are you deaf?". I grew up close to the border of the Netherlands
and had a friend who's little brother was deaf. This caused some
confusing on my side when he told a Dutch person "mijn broer is doof".