On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 11:14:26 +0100
Christian Heimes <christ...@python.org> wrote:
> On 10/03/2021 10.30, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 10:30:43 +0900
> > Inada Naoki <songofaca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Petr Baudis (who named "master" branch) says its origin is "master
> >> recording". So it is unrelated to master-slave.
> >> https://twitter.com/xpasky/status/1272280760280637441
> >
> > And the origin of the English word is the latin noun "magister":
> > https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/magister#Latin
>
> Words change meaning.

Definitely.  But if one wants to make a historical argument, it cannot
stop at one point in history ;-)

In any case, "main" (or hg's "default") is certainly a better
generic word for the concept than "master".  Whether or not it's worth
breaking many pieces of automation out there I'm skeptical about.

Regards

Antoine.