On 4/30/21 4:51 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 6:57 AM Larry Hastings <la...@hastings.org> wrote:
Function and class names should not be followed by parentheses, unless
demonstrating an example call.
Oh, I love putting parentheses when mentionning a function: "foo() now
does thigs new thing". Also, I like to use :func:`foo` Sphinx markup
to add a link in the changelog, and Sphinx adds parentheses for me
*but* I don't add parentheses :-)

I do too, and I definitely do that when I write emails, .txt files, and so on.  But--as you point out--Sphinx adds them for you.  NEWS blurbs should be written in CPython-docs-compatible ReST, and that includes using :func:`foo` to refer to a function called foo.  Sphinx will turn this into a hyperlink to the definition of foo in the docs if it knows where it is; :func:`inspect.signature` and :func:`getattr` both work great.

I'm still not sure what markup (if any) to use for Git checkins. On Github I know to use Markdown, and they provide a Markdown edit box.  But should I use Markdown when I use "git commit" at the command-line?  And why am I bringing this up now?  Surely this will only serve to fragment the conversation and confuse the larger issue.

Cheers,

//arry/