Hm, I actually like the imperative. In a commit or news message it feels
very natural to me. And in that context there is no confusion about whether
we’re commanding anyone (maybe we’re commanding git? :-).

But I am the ultimate intuitive writer — I never took a class in English
grammar or writing style, I just pattern match based on what I have read
elsewhere. I don’t even know the names for the tenses (I only use
“imperative” because you did).

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 02:22 Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 09:52:14PM -0700, Larry Hastings wrote:
> >

> > D'oh!  I have a second draft already.
> >
> >    Your NEWS entry should be written in the /present tense,/ and should
> >    start with a verb:
>
> Without a subject of the sentence, that's not present tense, it is the
> imperative mood.
>

>     "Fix buffalo.spam ..."
>
> is a command or suggestion. The imperative is suitable for a list of
> things which should be done, a TODO list, not a list of things which
> have already been done.
>
> https://grammar.collinsdictionary.com/easy-learning/the-imperative
>
> When it comes to "the" present tense, there are (at least?) four, and
> one looks superficially like the imperative, but they need a subject:
>

>     # present simple tense
>     "Larry fixes buffalo.spam ..."
>
>     # present continuous tense
>     "Larry is fixing buffalo.spam ..."
>
>     # present perfect tense
>     "Larry has fixed buffalo.spam ..."
>
>     # present perfect continuous tense
>     "Larry has been fixing buffalo.spam ..."
>

> https://grammar.collinsdictionary.com/easy-learning/the-present-simple-tense
>

> One might get away with an implicit "I" in the present simple tense:
>

>     [I] fix buffalo.spam ...
>

> and readers with a good understanding of English will probably be able
> to infer the intention (tasks which have already been done, not tasks
> still to be done) but those whose English skills are not as good will
> probably struggle.

> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/BEED5L4Y72YJF5Z3HG7VY55AF5T6NYWQ/

--Guido (mobile)