On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 at 11:36, Inada Naoki <songofaca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I am wrong, can we stop keeping stable ABI at Python 3.12?
> Python 4.0 won't come in foreseeable future. Stable ABI blocks Python
> evolution.

Conversely, the stable ABI allows projects to build cross-version
binary wheels. Not many projects do that yet, but it's definitely
something we'd like to see more of. Needing new binary builds every
version blocks users from testing new versions of Python in advance of
the release. Also, I often use the stable ABI when embedding, so that
I can replace the Python interpreter without needing to recompile my
application and redeploy new binaries everywhere (my use case is
pretty niche, though, so I wouldn't like to claim I represent a
typical user...).

But I do agree that we should either start keeping to the commitments
that we made around the stability of the stable ABI, or we should
abandon it properly and declare it no longer supported. Having
something that sort of works except when we accidentally broke it
doesn't help anyone.

Paul