On 18/10/2021 18:50, Senthil Kumaran wrote:
Your configure script did pick up openssl as the support version was not
found.

What is your operating system? Make sure you have supported version of
ssl. Python requires openssl 1.1.1 or higher.

I tried to build this on ubuntu 18.04, but got the _ssl problem; it definitely has openssl 1.1.1 installed. On updated Arch linux no issue.

during configure I see that compiling and linking against openssl works.

with the simplest ./configure --prefix=$HOME/LOCAL/3.10.0 I find _ssl is not
importable (_socket is).

If I try setting --with-openssl-rpath I get _ssl importable, but it fails
because _socket is not importable.

It's not a big deal as I can install python 3.10.0 using
deadsnakes-ubuntu-ppa-bionic ppa.

I think the problem here is that I don't seem to have a single openssl root

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1
/usr/include/openssl/

This all used to work in Python 3.9.x, but I suppose some improvement(s) have
been made.
--
Robin Becker