On 20/10/2021 09.43, Robin Becker wrote:
On 19/10/2021 16:45, Christian Heimes wrote:
We use the standard AX_CHECK_OPENSSL() m4 macro from autoconf-archive to detect OpenSSL. The macro uses pkg-config to detect OpenSSL. It doesn't check for specific version, though. We don't want to prevent people with outdated OpenSSL or LibreSSL from building Python without ssl support.

Christian
I would not suggest that, but if the test at the end of the configure had said it can compile against openssl, but that a wrong or insufficient information would prevent building _ssl then a lot of cycles could be saved.

I suppose that might be impossible as the test might need to actually try and build _ssl.so.

That's an excellent idea!

I can add an autoconf test that checks the most important and newish API. The check won't catch all problems, but it will detect most common cases of missing APIs in headers and libraries.

PR: https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/29088

Christian