On 19/10/2021 17.26, Robin Becker wrote:
On 19/10/2021 11:21, Christian Heimes wrote:
On 19/10/2021 11.57, Robin Becker wrote:
For PEP 644 I added new instructions how to build Python 3.10 with custom OpenSSL builds. The instructions should work on all major Linux distributions. They have been tested on Debian-like and Fedora-like platforms:

https://docs.python.org/3/using/unix.html?highlight=openssl#custom-openssl

Unfortunately I don't have a custom openssl installation although it may not appear/behave as the python configuration wants.

I am using the officially approved installed version of openssl so far as I know. I'm aware that Ubuntu 18.04 is now somewhat out of date, but I would expect a simple configure & make dance to succeed.

I'm working with linux for dummies(self) and need to install/update/upgrade openssl, libssl-dev. After that _ssl _hashlib are compiled and importable. I suppose the configure 'compiling with openssl' test is a bit naive.

We use the standard AX_CHECK_OPENSSL() m4 macro from autoconf-archive to detect OpenSSL. The macro uses pkg-config to detect OpenSSL. It doesn't check for specific version, though. We don't want to prevent people with outdated OpenSSL or LibreSSL from building Python without ssl support.

Christian