A non-core approval changes the label from "awaiting review" to "awaiting
core review". I find this useful, and occasionally filter on "awaiting core
review" because it indicates that at least one other person found the PR
sound / interesting.  I would not like this to change - I think high
quality reviews from non-core contributors are valuable for the project and
are a very quick way for the contributor to get the right kind of attention
from core devs.

If people spam the approvals (i.e., approve PRs without reviewing them)
then the distinction between the labels becomes meaningless, of course.
Though I do wonder what the motivation for doing that repeatedly would be.
My basic assumption is that people usually try not to make fools of
themselves.

Note that contributors can still approve a perfect PR - a quality review in
this case would include a brief comment indicating that you understand the
change and perhaps why you find it valuable.

On the matter of spammy PRs - I agree with both Rupert and Ethan (F):
trivial PRs can add value, and a large number of them can be annoying.  You
can add value and be annoying at the same time (my triage work on b.p.o is
probably in this category. Thankfully it's clear I'm not after "triage
points", because there aren't any). At the end of the day, it doesn't
really matter what a contributor's motivation is - it's up to the core devs
to decide which PRs are valuable enough to merge, or even to review, and
who they enjoy working with. These things tend to sort themselves out on
their own.

I don't think we need to restrict access for non-core contributors compared
to the status quo.  What I do think we need is to make it easier for core
devs to close issues and PRs. We have a huge pile of open issues and PRs,
some of which we know will never happen (stale or otherwise) and we don't
close them because it's an unpleasant task to let someone down, and
sometimes they argue, and we're volunteers and why should we bother with
this emotional labour.

Through triage I found many 6 year old issues that, once I refreshed and
perhaps put an 'easy' label on, got fixed. The useless issues we don't want
to close are obscuring the ones we can and should fix.

I'm sure this has been discussed before. My only idea is that we formalize
some guidelines/criteria for closing old issues and PRs that make it more
of a joint decision of the core devs and less of a personal issue between
the core dev and the contributor. I would not suggest a blanket 'close
issues/PRs with no activity for X months', as I said I found useful 6 year
old issues. It has to be more sophisticated than that.

In summary - my view is that rather than making contributors contribute
less, we should be more effective in reviewing the contributions, including
rejecting those that should be rejected.