On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 7:37 PM Irit Katriel <iritkatr...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> If people spam the approvals (i.e., approve PRs without reviewing them) then
> the distinction between the labels becomes meaningless, of course. Though I
> do wonder what the motivation for doing that repeatedly would be.  My basic
> assumption is that people usually try not to make fools of themselves.

Some people may do "approve without review" to get attention from core
dev. They just want to the issue be fixed soon. This is not so bad.

Some people may do "approval without review" to make their "Profile"
page richer, because GitHub counts it as a contribution.
Creating spam issues or pull requests can be reported as spam very
easily. But "approve without review" is hard to be reported as spam.
So approving random issue is the most easy way to earn contributions
without reported as spam.

For example, see this user's contribution. They reviewed 32 pull
requests in cpython. It seems they approves random pull requests after
someone approved it.
https://github.com/raghavthind2005

Of course, approving approved pull requests without review don't
change the pull request status. So I can ignore them.
I just explain "what the motivation approve without review repeatedly".

I don't watch the cpython repository so I am not suffered from spammy
approvals. So I have no vote for it. I just mention to an option we
have.

Regards,

--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>