On Jan 30, 2010, at 11:21 PM, Vitor Bosshard wrote:

>Why not:
>
>foo.py
>foo.pyc # < 2.7 or < 3.2
>foo.27.pyc
>foo.32.pyc
>etc.

Because this clutters the module's directory more than it does today, which I
considered to be a negative factor.  And as others have pointed out, there
isn't a one-to-one relationship between Python version numbers and byte code
compatibility.

>I'd rather have a folder cluttered with files I know I can ignore (and
>can easily run a selective rm over) than one that is cluttered with
>subfolders.

I suppose this is going to be very subjective, but in skimming the thread it
seems like most people like putting the byte code cache artifacts in
subdirectories (be they siblings or folder-per-folder).

-Barry