On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2010 11:56, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 May 2010 20:42:12 +1000
>> Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not saying that Python-Dev should bend over backwards to accommodate
>>> such people to the exclusion of all else, but these folks are
>>> stakeholders too, and their wants and needs are just as worthy as the
>>> wants and needs of those who prefer a more conservative approach to the
>>> standard library.
>>
>> Well, my "Sumo" proposal was a serious one.
>> (not serious in that I would offer to give a hand, but in that I think
>> it could help those people; also, wouldn't it be sensible for users in
>> a corporate environment to share their efforts and produce something
>> that can benefit all of them? it's the free software spirit after all)
>
> I'm not sure how a "Sumo" approach would work in practical terms, and
> this thread isn't really the place to discuss, but there's a couple of
> points I think are worth making:
>
> * For a "Sumo" distribution to make sense, some relatively substantial
> chunk of the standard library would need to be moved *out* to reside
> in the sumo distribution. Otherwise it's not really a "sumo", just a
> couple of modules that "nearly made it into the stdlib", at least for
> the near-to-medium term. I've yet to see any sort of consensus that
> python-dev is willing to undertake that decoupling work. (Which would
> include extracting the various tests, migrating bugs out of the
> pythion tracker, etc etc).
>
> * If the decoupled modules aren't simply being abandoned, python-dev
> needs to continue to commit to supporting them "in the wild" (i.e., on
> PyPI and in the sumo distribution). Otherwise we're just abandoning
> existing users and saying "support it yourself". I've seen no
> indication that python-dev members would expect to follow bug trackers
> for various decoupled modules - so in practice, this sounds more like
> abandonment than decoupling.
>
> Until a stdlib-decoupling proposal which takes these aspects into
> account is on the table, I'm afraid that suggesting there's a "Sumo
> distribution" style middle ground between stdlib and PyPI isn't really
> true...
>
> Paul.

The fat vs. thin stdlib was discussed on stdlib-sig some time ago (I
am generally +1 to having a thin dist and a secondary "fatter" dist),
however right now, it doesn't make sense packaging and dependency
management is still a mess (but getting better), and there's a ton of
other things to take into consideration, some of which has been
iterated in this thread.

That being said, we've now evolved into meta-meta-meta-discussion - if
people seriously want to discuss the fat vs. thin subject, it should
probably go to stdlib-sig.

jesse