On 12/07/2010 11:37, geremy condra wrote:
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Stefan Krah<ste...@bytereef.org>  wrote:
Jesse Noller<jnol...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:22 PM, geremy condra<debat...@gmail.com>  wrote:
(This seems to me like an area where a judicious application of PSF funds might
help; if every
single bug were actively triaged and responded to, even if it weren't reviewed,
and patch
contributors were directed to take specific steps to elicit a response or a
review, the fact that
patch reviews take a while might not be so bad.)

The operative word being "judicious". It is not obvious who should get
funded, and for what tasks.
Some specific issues (like email in 3.x) are large enough that they can
be the sole focus of a fund grant. But I'm not sure triaging can apply.

I'm mulling over starting a monthly triage sprint under the auspices of
Jesse Noeller's PSF sponsored sprints in the hopes of making this a
little more fun. I'd appreciate comments on the idea.

[responding to Geremy]

I'm with Georg on this. If triaging needs a monetary incentive because it
is tedious work, so does committing. A lot of the abandoned issues aren't
very glamorous either.

I'm not sure what you mean by "monetary incentive". I was considering
handing a t-shirt or beer token to the most productive sprinters, but
that's about the limit of it, and I suspect that would come out of my
pocket.
Any chance of getting me a t-shirt autographed by the one and only BDFL? :)

I'd also emphasize that I am exactly as far as I stated on this: I'm
mulling it over and asking for feedback. If it turns out that there
are other things that python-dev feels are more necessary but
similarly unglamorous, then I'll think about doing that instead.

Also, from the work that Mark Lawrence has been doing on the tracker in
the past few weeks, it's apparent that a dedicated person can achieve a
lot without pay.

Indeed, although I'm again unsure what pay has to do with this.

Due to his tracker reshuffling, many issues got closed, several bug
reporters responded after years, etc. Thanks, Mark!

+1

Geremy Condra

Geremy, Stefan, Jesse and anyone that I might have missed, thanks for your kind responses, its given me quite a lift.

For the record note that I only got going because of a post on c.l.py from Terry Reedy, and that he too has been doing similar work on the issue tracker, my round Terry. :)

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence