PJ Eby wrote:
Really? I've been doing "dump the app in a directory" since 1998 or so on various *nix platforms. And when distutils came along, I set up a user-specific cfg to install in the same directory. ISTR a 5-line pydistutils.cfg is sufficient to make everything go into to a particular directory, for packages using distutils for installation.

Perhaps somebody could clue me in on the best way to handle this scenario:

I develop in a single directory:

    c:\source\loom\
        loom.py
        test_loom.py

because test_loom could at some point be executed by somebody besides me, while living in site-packages, I have test_loom.py create its needed files, including dynamic test scripts, in a temp directory. While this works fine for site-packages, it doesn't work at all while testing as the test script, being somewhere else, won't be able to load my test copy of loom.

I know I have at least two choices:
  - go with a virtualenv and have my development code be in the
    virtualenv site-packages
  - insert the current path into sys.path before calling out to
    the dynamic scripts, but only if the current path is not
    site-packages

Suggestions?

~Ethan~