On 11/23/2014 07:03 PM, Ryan wrote:
> I can agree with most of these points. Some more things to consider:
>
> - Git is 20x faster than Hg (that's 99% of the reason I switched and hate
> using
> Darcs)

You won't get much traction with this argument around here.  As long as there
aren't specific complaints about slowness (which probably could be fixed by a
discussion on mercurial-devel), Hg is "fast enough", just like Python is "fast
enough" compared to C.  (Otherwise, why bother.)

> - GitHub is much nicer than BitBucket. I usually look for a git mirror of a
> BitBucket repo since I hate browsing on BB

I agree, Github's UI is nicer than BB.  It is also true that most features
that are introduced on BB are "inspired" by GH.

> - Even Plan9Port moved from Hg to GitHub a few days ago

Projects move all the time.  Why is this one special?

> - Some Google devs even host their projects on GitHub (not Google Code)
>
> Thank goodness no one has mentioned CodePlex.
>
> BTW, I frown on projects that choose something largely inferior over a better
> choice just because "one is written in X language." Now, if python.org
> <http://python.org> was written in Ruby, that would just be sad, but certain
> things just don't matter. Like DVCS's.

You can read up PEP 374 for the reasons for Hg.  The main reasons against git
were lacking Windows support (which probably is good enough now) and developer
preference.

Georg