On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:55:50AM -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> But I strongly believe that if we want to do the right thing for the
> long term, we should switch to GitHub.

Encouraging a software, or social, monopoly is never the right thing for
the long term.

http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201405/github_monoculture.html

> I promise you that once the pain of the switch is over you will feel
> much better about it. I am also convinced that we'll get more
> contributions this way.

I'm sure that we'll get *more* contributions, but will they be *better*
contributions?

I know that there are people who think that mailing lists are old and
passe, and that we should shift discussion to a social media site like
Reddit. If we did, we'd probably get twenty times as many comments, and
the average quality would probably plummet. More is not necessarily a
good thing.

--
Steven