On Sun Nov 23 2014 at 4:18:37 PM Georg Brandl <g.bra...@gmx.net> wrote:

> On 11/23/2014 09:42 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

[SNIP]

>     > And I'm still in support no matter what of breaking out the HOWTOs
> and the
> >     > tutorial into their own repos for easier updating (having to
> update the Python
> >     > porting HOWTO in three branches is a pain when it should be
> consistent across
> >     > Python releases).
> >
> >     I see no problem with that, provided there's a cronjob that syncs
> the version
> >     in Doc/ to the external version reasonably often.
> >

> > Would that really be necessary? At least for the HOWTOs how often are
> they
> > edited simultaneously as some code in CPython? The Clinic HOWTO is
> probably the
> > only one that might get updated simultaneously. I'd also be curious to
> know how
> > often the tutorial is updated simultaneously as well.
>
> I'd like the HOWTOs to stay part of Doc/, so changes in the external repo
> have
> to be merged in there somehow, and not only at release time.

Right, I'm trying to understand *why* you want the HOWTOs to stay in Doc/.
I dread having to update the porting HOWTO because it requires updating
2.7, 3.4, and default. And if the process is automated to pull from an
external repo then what is the benefit of syncing the files and duplicating
them across 4 repos?