Brett Cannon writes:

 > How do other projects tend to manage their bugfix vs. in-dev branches?

Emacs uses a similar workflow to Python's current one, AIUI:

1. When feasible, developer decides the lowest applicable branch (in
   Emacs there are only two), commits and pushes there.

2. When needed, merge forward to trunk, supported by a script that
   helps manage "already cherry-picked from trunk" and "not suitable
   for trunk" patches.

 > Is it a lot of cherrypicking?

For Emacs, not that much.  Most feature development occurs on trunk,
and rarely are commits to trunk considered appropriate for
cherrypicking to stable.   Most bugfixing is in response to reports on
stable, or quickly confirmed to apply to stable, is handled in stable,
and then merged forward manually.

 > Probably our long development cycles doesn't help with this as it
 > makes cross-branch merging difficult thanks to divergence,

I suspect that the time from bug injection to bug discovery, which is
primarily related to length of support commitment, is more relevant
than the length of the development cycle.