On Nov 23, 2014, at 08:55 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>- Moving from Hg to Git is a fair amount of one-time work

For anyone seriously interested in this, even experimentally, I would highly
suggest looking at Eric Raymond's reposurgeon code.  You can google it or find
it covered in the vast discussions of his conversion of the Emacs repository
from bazaar to git.  I don't know for a fact that it would handle an hg to git
conversion, but it's the most likely candidate for something so complex.
There's a lot of similarity in the history of the Emacs and Python
repositories, having gone through many previous iterations of vcs's - in
Python's case, at least cvs, svn, and hg.

Cheers,
-Barry