On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 6:55 PM, Alexander Walters <tritium-l...@sdamon.com>
wrote:

> No.
>
> Visual Studio is a solid compiler suit, mingw is a jenky mess, especially
> when you try and move to 64bit (where I don't think there is one true
> version of mingw).  I'm sorry that Visual Studio makes it very hard for you
> to contribute, but changing THE compiler of the distribution from the
> platform compiler, especially when we FINALLY got a stable abi with it, is
> going to be a non starter.
>
> Compiling on MinGW for your own edification is fine, but that's not the
> build platform for windows python, nor should it be. Contributions are, and
> should continue to be, tested against Visual Studio.
>

> On 2/26/2016 05:12, Mathieu Dupuy wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> I am currently working on adding some functionality on a standard
>> library module (http://bugs.python.org/issue15873). The Python part
>> went fine, but now I have to do the C counterpart, and I have ran into
>> in several problems, which, stacked up, are a huge obstacle to easily
>> contribute further. Currently, despite I could work, I can't go
>> further
>> on my patch.
>>
>> I am currently working in very limited network, CPU and time
>> ressources* which are quite uncommon in the western world, but are
>> much less in the rest of the world. I have a 2GB/month mobile data
>> plan and a 100KB/s speed. For the C part of my patch, I should
>> download Visual Studio. The Express Edition 2015 is roughly 9GB. I
>> can't afford that.
>>
>> I downloaded Virtualbox and two Linux netinstall (Ubuntu 15.10 and
>> Fedora 23). Shortly, I couldn't get something working quickly and
>> simply (quickly = less than 2 hours, downloading time NOT included,
>> which is anyway way too already much). What went wrong and why it went
>> wrong could be a whole new thread and is outside of the scope of this
>> message.
>> Let me precise this : at my work I use many virtualbox instances
>> automatically fired and run in parallel to test new deployments and
>> run unittests. I like this tool,
>> but despite its simple look, it (most of the time) can not be used
>> simply by a profane. The concepts it requires you to understand are
>> not intuitive at first sight and there is *always* a thing that go
>> wrong (guest additions, mostly).(for example : Ubuntu and Virtualbox
>> shipped for a moment a broken version of mount.vboxsf, preventing
>> sharing folder to mount. Despite it's fixed, the broken releases
>> spread everywhere and you may encounter them a lot in various Ubuntu
>> and Virtualbox version. I downloaded the last versions of both and I
>> am yet infected. https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12879). I could do
>> whole new thread on why you can't ask newcomers to use Virtualbox
>> (currently, at least).
>>
>> I ran into is a whole patch set to make CPython compile on MinGW
>> (https://bugs.python.org/issue3871#msg199695). But it is not denying
> [...]

My personal experience with psutil is that at some point I simply gave up
trying to support mingw because it was too difficult and I couldn't keep up
with it anymore. I had to hack through all sorts of missing stuff such as:
https://github.com/giampaolo/psutil/blob/08d490d0d8fa60ee1d689cca30738ceb599298d0/psutil/arch/windows/ntextapi.h,
I always wondered why mingw doesn't do it for me, plus the fact that I
never really got it to work with 64-bit Python. I can only imagine what it
would mean doing something similar in a much larger C code base such as
Python's. The advantage of being able to use something else other than VS
(which I despise as well) would undoubtedly be enormous, but from my
experience mingw is an alternative which simply doesn't work.

--
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com