On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Random832 <random...@fastmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016, at 22:17, David Mertz wrote:
> > > [*range(x) for x in range(4)]
> >
> > As Paul or someone pointed out, that's a fairly odd thing to do.
>
> I agree with the specific example of it being an odd thing to do with
> range, it was just an attempt to illustrate with a concrete example.

It's also easy to construct examples where the hypothetical * syntax can't
handle a requirement.  E.g. flatten() with levels>1 (yes, of course you can
find some way to nest more loops or more
comprehensions-within-comprehensions to make it work in some way that still
uses the * by force).

I feel like I should be honest about something else - I'm always a
> little bit confused by the ordering for comprehensions involving
> multiple clauses.

Me too! I get the order of nested loops in comprehensions wrong about 25%
of the time.  Then it's a NameError, and I fix it.

This is a lot of why I like a utility function like `flatten()` that is
pretty much self-documenting.  Perhaps a couple other itertools helpers
would be nice.