On 11 August 2017 at 16:19, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 5:13 AM, Alberto Berti <albe...@metapensiero.it>
> wrote:
> >     Chris> What do you do about all the places where the languages have
> >     Chris> significantly different semantics? For instance, a Python
> integer can
> >     Chris> store more values than a Python float (which is broadly
> compatible
> >     Chris> with a JS Number), but in JS, bitwise operations restrict the
> value to
> >     Chris> 32-bit.
> >
> > As of now, I do nothing. As I said, the goal of the tool is not to
> > shield you from JS, for this reason it's not meant for beginners (in
> > both JS or Python). You always manipulate JS objects, but allows you to
> > to be naive on all that plethora of JS idiosyncrasies (from a Python pow
> > at least) that you have to think about when you frequently switch from
> > python to js.
> >
> >     Chris> Transpiling is an
> >     Chris> extremely dangerous thing to do a partial job of.
> >
> > Even breathing can be dangerous in some environments...
> > Bridging two different concepts together is always a partial job...
> >
> > Again, the use case may seem minimal to you but I can assure that it
> > helps on the day to day work with JS.
>
> Speaking as someone whose day job is teaching Python and JavaScript, I
> don't like the idea of this kind of thing. You're bringing (some)
> Python syntax, but sticking to JS semantics. That means your source
> code looks like Python, but runs like JS. You can't afford to ever run
> it through a Python interpreter (the semantics will be wrong).
>
> There's already plenty of confusion in the world. I don't want to add
> more. It would be far better to base your language on JS syntax, since
> it's using JS semantics; just add in a handful of Python features that
> you really miss.

Well,I hope you both had at least skimmed over "brython"  - it started a
couple years ago
with somewhat the same "won't o full Python purpose" - but nowadays they
have a
very conformant implementation of Python3 that is transpiled client-side
into working javascript.

(It does use some JS third party library to be able to implement Python
integers, for example -
but I think one can use a "pragma" like statement to use "native" numbers
for performance)

http://brython.info

ChrisA