On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 at 03:51, Kyle Stanley <aeros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eric V. Smith wrote:
> > In addition, I find it hard to believe someone couldn't find a sponsor
> > for a well-written PEP. I'm happy to sponsor such a PEP, even if I think
> > it will be rejected. Rejected PEPs serve a useful purpose, too, if only
> > to point to when the same issue comes up in the future.
>
> Do most of the other core developers also share this perspective? Even
> though PEPs were not intended to be intimidating, they definitely can be
> for those who are less familiar with the process. I can imagine that many
> people would think that a "sponsor" would mean fully convincing someone
> to be completely on board with their idea.

Personally, my position is a bit more nuanced. I'm happy enough to
sponsor a PEP, but most people's "PEP ideas" are actually still
insufficiently well thought out to be worth a PEP, and typically my
first comment as a sponsor would be "you don't need a sponsor yet, you
need to refine your proposal a lot first". However, from the way a lot
of threads on python-ideas go, it's clear that a lot of people aren't
really aware of how much work is needed to get a proposal to the point
where it's ready for a PEP (and when they get feedback to that effect
from the list, they get frustrated at the "negative feedback").

So while I'm happy enough to sponsor a (well-written) PEP, I'm not
anywhere near as willing to mentor someone in how to develop a
proposal to the point where it's ready for submission as a PEP
(because I simply don't have the time). And people tend not to
appreciate the difference between those two tasks.

Paul