Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com>:

> I believe the Python interpreter happily accepts a zip file, which in
> theory could be edited directly by a competent text editor. But that
> has nothing to do with PEP 8. Compare a classic compiled language like
> C - you have the bit you edit (the C source code) and the "definitive
> version" that's fed to the program loader (the compiled binary). Style
> guides apply to the edited version, not to the executed version.

My point applies to C as well. Shouldn't the .c file contain an AST?
Only when you open the file in your text editor, it makes it look like
you wrote it yourself in your favorite style?

You and I could have opened the same C file. Only you see:

   #include <stdio.h>

   int                                       +--------------------+
   main ( int     argc,                      | My first C program |
          char *const argv[] )               +--------------------+
   {
           (void) printf( "Hello world\n" );

           return(0);
   }

while I see:

   #include <stdio.h>

   /* My first C program */
   int main(int argc, char *const argv[]) {
     printf("Hello world\n");
     return 0;
   }

Marko