Paul Rubin <> writes:

> If you're just getting started and you're not trying to make something
> super slick, I'd suggest Tkinter.  It's easy to learn and use, you can
> bang stuff together with it pretty fast, it's included with various
> Python distributions so you avoid download/installation hassles, and
> it's pretty portable across various desktop OS's (not mobile for some
> reason).

There is also a very good tutorial site for Tk for various languages,
including Python <URL:>.

> The downside is that you get industrial-looking UI's that implement
> typical GUI functionality but don't have ultra precise control or
> carefully crafted widgets like some of the other toolkits do.

The “themed Tk” extension is now part of the Python standard library
<URL:> and allows
native look-and-feel widgets:

    […] new widgets which gives a better look and feel across platforms;
    however, the replacement widgets are not completely compatible.

 \       “Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual |
  `\       profit without individual responsibility.” —Ambrose Bierce, |
_o__)                                   _The Devil's Dictionary_, 1906 |
Ben Finney