codewiz...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 7:15:16 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> > [snip]
> >         Those of us who do not use google-groups may not notice the loss
> > of the google groupies.
>
> I use GG to read comp.lang.python because of the following combination
> of factors. I would definitely be happier if there was another way to
> do this, so that I wouldn't have to wade through lots of spam.
>
>   - I read it from both home and work.
>
>   - I can't install any additional software at work.
>
>   - There is no newsgroup reader software available at work.
>
>   - GG tracks read/unread status of every post. This is shared
>     between work and home through my Google account.
>
>   - When I (very rarely) post from work, I can't
>     do it by email, since outgoing email is blocked.

Alternative approach, what I do:-

    Run a text mode (but very capable and mouse aware) newsreader on
    my home system, read news locally using that.

    Use ssh (is that available at worK?) to connect from work to home
    and run the same newsreader in the same environment. If you can't
    even ssh from work then you can always use an 'ssh from the web'
    app from your wenb browser.

The newsreader I use is tin by the way.

--
Chris Green