I'm wondering if anyone can offer any good methodologies for tagging nodes
in Maya such that they can be identified and collected by said tags.

The simplest, most obvious method would be to add a string attribute and
poll that but I'm thinking there may be other options people have used for
good reason (blindData, metadata, etc.).

Looking forward to any suggestions.

--
"God is a metaphor for a mystery that absolutely transcends all human
categories of thought. It's as simple as that!" - Joseph Campbell