On Sun, Aug 5, 2018, 6:03 AM Rudi Hammad <rudiham...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Cedric, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
>
> Before writing a plugin, I try to produce the same result using maya's
> nodes. So I could distribute the rig without any plugins if I wanted, but
> usually a c++ node, if done right, performs faster than 20 maya nodes
> network.
> Since I want to offer the best to the client, I think rigs with plugins
> are not a bad idea. Also I find it more interesting from a learning point
> of view, and you can't do everything with maya nodes.
>
> Now let me ask you something. Imagine that you spent a year developing a
> muscle plugin system. So you spend a year studying math, anatomy and any
> other useful resources to finally write your plugin from scratch. Would you
> not consider that intellectual property? After all,muscles are not
> original, we have maya cMuscles, Ziva muscles now etc...Also math is not
> original. But any way, original or not, how would you approach that
> situation? Would you simply distribute it without any kind of protection?
> what if the client ask you to do one rig, and then he rips off the plugin
> and do 20 rigs using it. or worst, what if the client and resell it?

Don't use that client again. Or sue the client for breaking your contract
and reselling your technology?

Consider other commercial applications that use a license key. What if the
agreement is that a license is for one seat, but the company just installs
it on 10 machines with that one key? It can happen. And a company probably
worked very hard on that software. You are hoping to deal with reputable
clients that want to pay you to support your products and not act like
criminals. It's the same reason you don't put a snack into your pocket and
walk out of the convenience store without paying, because it's easy.

If everything you deliver is in C++ then you can at least make it harder to
reuse unless some common hashes match between the plugin and the other
custom nodes you write.