I know all too well what you are referring to:
i always though maya strongest point was its nodal nature and strong API (
so obviously all my rig were flatten into custom nodes:  at some point i
even combine all  of them into a biped node and question the use of
transform hierarchy to interact with it directly with an uber manipulator).

Protection wise its a lost cause ( every drm system by nature only prevent
the majority of people from unregistered use of your product: but it wont
stop motivated one),
Its an hyper specialized field of its own, and like everything what are
your priorities ?( producing content, extending your client base, providing
support, custom solutions etc)

For me the most secured way to protect your plugin is for it to stay on
computer/device not connected to the internet...

1 year is such a small amount of time  when you are a working professional
and have limited free time + energy to devote to personal projects,you
usually can only scratch the surface of one of the fields you mention above.
I value more the learning process than the result of my experiment : like
used toys im not attached to my tools/plug-ins but to what they help me
achieved.

if your selling a rig  as an asset maybe you can encode the data/mesh and
do some check sum on volume / point count / name / hierarchy ?
Maybe some kind of combo with an encrypted alembic file feeding a reader
node ( for the validation part ) which then output some mpxdata to your
regular node.