Hi, I think we should be open-minded towards Denis ideas and not categorically reject any changes in curent behaviour. Enabling the CAD mode enables a lot of possibilities compared to the current mode.
I am not a CAD expert either, but I am often impressed about how efficiently my Autocad colleagues can edit/construct data. Therefore I would support the option to switch between Graphics/CAD mode. There could even be a button in the editing toolbar switching between the two modes, though I would expect that people would like to stay in one mode most of the time, once they get used to either mode. >From Denis proposals listed below I would prefer option 3 (Provide both behaviours and choose which one to use in options). The above suggested switch mode button or a modifier key could be added as well, though I see it as convenience and not absolutely necessary at the start. Andreas Am 25.09.2014 05:46, schrieb Denis Rouzaud: > Hi all, > > I'll try to summarize. > > *QEP*: I don't mind doing one, but I think it's a bit early since we are > still discussing. > > *Problematic*: Drag'n'drop map tools prevent from enhancing CAD tools in > QGIS. For this, it is *required *to add click-click to all map tools. > > *Other softwares:* > CAD softwares use click-click actions while design and GIS (Mapinfo, > what about ESRI?) use drag'n'drop. > New users or even current users might be afraid of such a change. > > *Pros of methods:* > Advantages of click-clik: > * allow other actions to be done in the movement > * allow cancelling the action (this was not pointed out yet) > Advantages of drag'n'drop > * More intuitive (for non-CAD users, which I believe is the majority) > > I see *3 (and a half) solutions* (thanks to Matthias for pointing some): > > 1.*Replace current* drag'n'drop to click-click > + simplest solution to maintain > - need time for new users to get used to this > > 2.*Enable both* click-clik and drag'n'drop: a short click will free the > node/feature while a long click (*) will allow drag'n'drop. > + both solutions are here > - might be confusing for a "standard" user to make a short click and > have a node moving without knowing what to do (although escape would > cancel the thing) > > 3. Provide both behaviours and *choose which one to use in options* > (e.g. enable CAD behaviour for map tools). > + both solutions are here > - behaviour not coherent along the different installations > > half solution: click-click in map tools, allow drag'n'drop in the main > identify tool. Like *Microstation*. > - this works only for move features (i.e. not feasible for rotate and > node tools) > > Please comment these solutions, to see if there's a consensus. > I'll start and vote for 1. ;) > > > Cheers, > Denis > > > * The determination of what should be done is made on the distance in > pixels from the press position to the release position. If it's small it > is considered as a short. Time might also get into consideration: if you > long-click but don't move it could be considered as cancel. > > > > > > > On 24.09.2014 10:56, Denis Rouzaud wrote: >> Hi all, >> >> There is somehow an inconsistency in the behaviour of the current >> editing map tools. >> >> Some, like add features, uses the left click to trigger the action. >> Others, like the node tool or move feature use press-pan-release mouse >> events: >> * mouse press to select the node/feature >> * mouse mouse to move it >> * mouse release sets the position. >> >> I would propose to standardise this and for the latter tools propose >> the following work flow: >> * left click enables the move >> * left click again to validate at position >> * or right click to cancel >> >> Why changing this? >> >> If you look at CAD software, they also use the proposed approach. And >> there's a reason for doing so, which is valid for QGIS too. >> >> We are looking at improving the CAD tools in QGIS. In this area, I >> recommend trying the fantastic CADinput plugin made by Olivier Dalang. >> The plugin works on top of any map tool and enables CAD tools for each >> of them. >> >> The problem with the press-pan-release map tools is that you can't >> truly interact while you are actually in the action of the map tool >> (holding the click): >> * you can't click anymore and this prevents from using intermediate >> points (you have to use the tool several times and repeat the >> operation as many times as intermediate points you need) >> * it is not really user friendly to have to press keys while holing >> the click >> >> This is why, changing the map tools behaviour is requested if we want >> to go further with CAD tools in QGIS. >> >> Regarding the future of CAD tools in QGIS, I am quite sure the plugin >> proposed by Olivier would be a good way to go for QGIS, but it still >> might be a bit early to integrate it in core. The idea is rather first >> to extend the API and propose ready to use methods, so it will be easy >> to implement your preferred solution in a plugin. >> >> But first, we need to standardise the map tools. >> >> So, the bottom line, any objection to changing the behaviour of: >> * edit node tool >> * move feature >> * rotate feature >> * move label >> * rotate label >> * any other press-pan-release map tool that I am not aware of >> ??? >> >> Best wishes, >> >> Denis >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > > _______________________________________________ > Qgis-developer mailing list > [email protected] > http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer > _______________________________________________ Qgis-developer mailing list [email protected] http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
