Hi Nyall,

First, thank you for all that you have done over the years. You have helped
me a number of times in answering questions. Open source software is an
interesting beast. There is so much donated time without compensation yet
people need to feed themselves. My first QGIS plugin was in 2016 and I now
have 12 QGIS plugins that are published (several more that are
unpublished), but I am facing a dilemma. My work has funded all my
development except for one plugin which I did for myself. Unfortunately, I
was never really able to break into the ESRI culture here and a year or so
ago was told to stop doing further QGIS development and to focus on other
research. I did not find something that I liked as well so I am going to
retire (because I can) in May. So my dilemma is what is going to happen
with my plugins. I care about them. I have an agreement with another
organization to take over support but after the first meeting I have no
confidence that they will be able to do it. I will probably still fix some
bugs after I retire, but I am not all that interested in working for free.
I want to explore new hobbies in retirement so any QGIS work would be
minimal unless it also fits in with one of my hobbies.

I don't know how to get compensation in the open source world unless there
is a company who is investing in and developing open source software. It
would be nice if there were a mechanism for developers to get some
compensation.

This is a difficult topic to address, but I hope something comes out of it.

Best wishes,

Calvin