[Intranet logo]
Hi all,

As a developer inside a very ESRI centric large public organisation, this
discussion is very interesting. Pushing my organisation to donate to a plugin
developer or QGIS.org is just impossible. However, paying a fee to download a
plugin is easy to justify, as it would to pay QGIS.org directly for a direct
support (that could be sub-contracted behind), after all, we pay a huge amount
annually to ESRI for no real support... So having a marketplace where paid
plugin can be bought could let organisations like mine to provide some support
plugin developers.

I’m not sure if I would want this marketplace being hosted by QGIS itself and
being access through the current Plugin Manager. I prefer the idea of QGIS
being clearly free… but at the same time maybe it’s not that bad if there is a
mix of free and paid plugin at the same place, as long as it’s very easy
filter. The obvious benefit of a marketplace hosted by QGIS is that a small
commission could collected as Tim suggested. With a separate entity managing
paid plugins, there is no way for QGIS.org to systematically receive a small
donation as Sebastian explained with the way it works with Blender.

Even for free plugin, I see a way to increase the chances of a developer
receiving a small donation. A “Donate to Author” button could be added in the
Plugin manager (on the left of the Uninstall Plugin button) and would be
activated if the plugin author provides a URL to a new “donation” entry in
metadata.txt . A warning would need to be displayed as it would send the user
“somewhere” on the internet.

I also think that free plugin that require a paid service to be of any use
should be flagged in a certain way.

Regards,

Jean-François Bourdon