Hi Nyall and other commenters on the thread

Personally I think it makes a lot of sense to allow payment for plugins via
the official QGIS plugin repo. A couple of (maybe contentious) ideas:

* can we put an Apple-like commission split so that QGIS.org takes 30% of
money coming from it? That will let us fund Lova into the long term and
other eventual team members to be paid to maintain the plugin
infrastructure. That will enable dudes like me who do backend work
maintaining the plugins services unpaid and unseen can fade into the sunset
and professional staff can take over the duty of keeping the plugins
platform going.
* Having a commission will also cover the cost of doing the accounting,
keeping track of who is owed what from their plugin sales, accounting for
everything, bank fees and what-not.
* We need to make it clear that QGIS does not offer any guarantees for
plugins sold (or downloaded for free for that matter) from the plugin repo
* It would be great to also invest into other long standing issues like
having plugin reviewers (or a clever AI scanner thingy) to make sure
plugins play nice on people's computers

Personally I would also like to have a 'hard opt in' for the plugin
installer shipped in QGIS. The first time you use it, you would need to
acknowledge that the plugins you get from the store may vary in quality and
their security from awesome to downright dangerous. If you do not agree
then the plugin manager link to the plugins repo essentially gets disabled
and you need to hand install plugins using the 'from a zip file' tab in the
plugin manager.

Probably more contentious would be asking those orgs fronting their
commercial services with a free plugin to give us (QGIS.org) a commission
too for the upstream services they sell, but I guess that would be a) hard
to enforce and b) bring out the complaints big time :-P

Regards

Tim

​

Tim Sutton