Hi all,
I´m working at University of Copenhagen, Forest an Landscape College.
Lecturing and working with GIS and GNSS.

GIS is on a tool – It´s the data and how we use the data that is important.

I was in the exact same situation 5 years ago. I had to decide a tool which
would give me both the tools and the flexibility to work with.
35 % of my students use Mac and 2 % Linux and the rest Windows. At the time we
worked in labs – but the Uni was about to change policy to ‘Bring your own
device’ – So I had to change.

We have courses from 5 days to 9 weeks – and the tool is being used in classes
all the way in the education. All of the students will use GIS in their later
work, but only a few as full time GIS pro.

It is of great importance to tell the students to use the tool available. Look
into the case and the data and then solve the problem with any tool. If you
learn to drive in a Ford – you can also drive a VW or Toyota – The only problem
is to Open the trunck or change oil ;-)

When this said – I use Open Source 95 % - That is the easiest. Here in Denmark
OpenSource has become a platform used in both public administration,
universities and private companies. And the in a mix together with proprietary
software.

With the mix of data available today – I would focus to use the 5 days to
introduce the students to vector, raster and point cloud data. Show them how to
manipulate both the geographical objects and the attribute data.

And in a few years we might not use GIS as we do today – It might be SQL and
Databases we should look into rather than worry about logo and names of
products.

Regards
Lene Fischer
Associate Professor

University of Copenhagen
Department of Geoscience and Natural Resource Management
Forest and Landscape College
Nødebovej 77a
3480 Fredensborg
Denmark