Von: Qgis-user [qgis-user-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] im Auftrag von Markus
Weidenbach [landcons...@freenet.de]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 15. Dezember 2016 20:07
An: qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org
Betreff: [Qgis-user] QGIS vs ArcGIS in Education and Practice

Dear List,

I was asked to give a 5 days international GIS training course at the
university and proposed to do it with QGIS. The program leader finally insisted
on doing it with ArcGIS arguing  that the students had better chances to find a
job knowing ArcGIS rather than QGIS. This argumentation does not reflect my
long professional experience as a GIS consultant at all!
But how can I proof that knowing QGIS is the better choice for young GIS
professionals than ArcGIS (or at least that both systems are equally suited)?
Does anybody know any official numbers of GIS users worldwide or on the
worldwide application of QGIS over ArcGIS?

I know the Master thesis from Boku Vienna
(https://geoobserver.wordpress.com/2016/02/09/arcgis-vs-qgis/) but it is
focused on a technical comparison of both systems only.
Also the link
https://www.g2crowd.com/grid_report/documents/gis-winter-2016-report is not
really helpful because it is based on some 40 reviews only and therefore not
representative.
I really need to know some proven facts on the number of global QGIS users and
renown companies using QGIS worldwide.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Markus

--