Hi,

This is a good question! My answer would be that students have a better chance
of having a job if the learn GIS and not a software.  The software is only a
tool!  If they have an ArcGIS licence at the university and can use it year
round with the university, they could learn with that.

My experience is that afterwards, they will either pirate the software or
abandons GIS because they cannot pay for the software.  Also, more and more
students are on Macs and ArcGIS will not work unless you have a dual boot, a
virtual PC or a online licence.

Also, if you want to just use a software as a technician and make GIS research,
 you can use ArcGIS.  If you want a really good paying job and want to be able
learn how to develop software and develop GIS, then QGIS or OpenSource is the
way to go!

To think that learning GIS = learning a software is short sighted.  Would you
trust a statistician if all he learned in university is how to use a particular
software or would you prefer someone who really knows what statistics are all
about???

Nicolas