All,

I think a better plan of attack is to say that they (students) need proficiency
in multiple pieces of software, both open and proprietary in nature.  Each
piece of software, no matter who makes/sells it, has it’s pros and cons for use.

Making students aware of the options is the bigger part of the equation.
Showing how the new tool(s) can be integrated into a common software processing
chain is a good approach to inserting new/open tech into the discussion.  A lot
harder to argue against as well.  Some still do though, but it’s not as easy to
flatly discount options this way.

bobb

On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:07 PM, Markus Weidenbach