On  Wed, 7 Apr 2004 at 16:24:06, Wolfgang Lenerz wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>On 7 Apr 2004 at 10:16, Tony Firshman wrote:
>

>> Having  integrated software does not negate your position at all.  To
>> not use them, one simply installs other software and let the
>> installation change the default, which it probably will.
>
>Well, what exactly are we talking about "integrated software"?
>Some thing like Xchange is in antegrated software, since 4 apps are rolled
>into one.
>But this is not what I meant. I meant, of course software integrated into the
>OS. Imagine Word being part of Windows itself. Brrr.
Yes - but it would be removable (see below).
Word is a case in point here.
I really hate Word - it is pretty impossible to tame.
OK Quill had very very few frills, but is excellent for writing letters
- which is what I needed it for.
Word of course is much more sophisticated, but there lies the problem.
I would love to pare it down, and remove the things I never use, or if
they are used  cause mayhem very often.
Trouble is Word is so often used for publishing, and it is not a good
publisher.  I have inherited word docs to do
<URL:http://stpetersberkhamsted.org.uk/archive.htm>
This is an html extract of a few pages.
Horrendous.
QL simplicity is a virtue sometimes.

>> With the massive ram and disk resources and high speed of modern
>> machines (and these all get larger day by day) surely the issue is
>> simply loading time and some wasted ram (probably small).
>
>"some" wasted ram?
>I beg to differ.
I mean if not run.

>Also, the more complex the software  the more problems you will have to debug
>etc...
.... but not run.

>> I must say, even though I am a tinkerer, I do like the concept of a
>> fully working integrated system to start with.  At least then I have a
>> rock on which to build.
>> However Roy has not pointed out that both XP and W2000 allow one to
>> remove Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Media Player and
>> others too I am sure.  If users install XP they can do that _before_
>> installation.
>"IF" "users" install etc - Roy's typical user wouldn't be able to do that,
>would he?
Yes - even the typical user would.
It is there very clearly under add/remove windows components (under
add/remove programs).  Far less hidden than many aspects, and certainly
not a hacker job in the registry.
OK - entries would possibly remain, but not affecting the bloated system
to any great degree.
The whole of this thread has implied it is locked in only to be removed
by hackers.
Even the EU court ruling implied that users were forced to keep Windows
media player installed - they are not.

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk

  • ... Dave P
  • ... James Hunkins
  • ... Mike MacNamara
  • ... James Hunkins
  • ... Mike MacNamara
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Arvid Børretzen
  • ... ian . pizer
  • ... ian . pizer
  • ... ZN
  • ... "Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)"
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... Dave P
  • ... Lafe McCorkle
  • ... John Sadler